Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 1 of Pre-Surgery Liquid Diet


Here is a before picture of us

What we did:
Today is Friday, July 8, 2011 and we are beginning our pre-surgery liquid diet.  Dusty and I began the morning by drinking our 1st of 4 slim fasts of the day.  We went to the doctor's office today and met with the program manager, Betty, and signed all paperwork and consents for surgery.  She also discussed with us the pre-surgery liquid diet and the 1st two weeks of diet after surgery.  Before surgery we have to drink 4 slim fasts per day, one with protien power added for an extra boost, and we can eat sugar free jello.  After the first 3 days of that, we can swap one slim fast per day for a small garden salad with only vegetables and fat free dressing on it.  We also have to drink tons of water.  All this is to shrink our liver before surgery so it is easier to get to the stomache.
How we felt: 
I wish I could say I felt great about the whole thing, but I would be lying!  I was starving!!!  The morning wasn't so bad because I was busy and didn't have much time to think about it.  Then once lunch time hit and I went into the breakroom to eat with everyone, that is when the struggles began.  It was super hard, but I made it knowing it was for something I really wanted.  The really hard part for Dusty and I both came that night.  We almost always go out to eat on Friday nights.  Since we are on the liquid diet we could not do that of course, so we came home to our lovely slim fast shakes and that was not fun!  By the end of the night I was cranky, hungry, and thinking "why in the heck am I doing this?"  I know it will be worth it in the end but for Dusty and I both, day 1 was super hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment