Monday, August 8, 2011

Week 2 and Dr's visit

Our new plate and our food journals


This is our new plate.  We must stay inside the blue area and the plate is already separated out for us.  It is the size of a saucer, not an actual dinner size plate!
Dusty's incisions (there are 4 total)


Jessica's incisions (there are 4 total)

Sorry I'm a little late writing my week 2 post!  Things have been crazy for me at work and by the time I get home, I am way to exhausted to blog.  Lilli Claire is spending the night with her grandmother tonight, so I figured it would be a good time to get my week 2 blog in.  Last week was a good week health wise.  Dusty and I both felt good and we were able to continue on our "creamy soups diet" with no problems. 
On Thursday we went to the doctor for our 2 week post op check up.  Everything went well with that.  Dr. Hekier checked our incisions and he said everything looked good with that. (The pictures above show what our incisions look like right now).  He also said we should be healed enough to have the 20 lb lifting restriction removed.  I was glad for that considering it was hard for me at work with that restriction and especially hard at home with a 3 year old. 
After we spoke with the doctor we went to a class with the program manager about our diet for the next 3 weeks.  This week we are on pureed consistancy foods.  We have been eating alot of soft scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes.  While I enjoy both, I am getting tired of eating the same thing day after day LOL!  We can also have things like non fruited yogurts and sugar free jello puddings.  On this Thursday, we can start things like soft veggies, tuna salad and chicken salad.  I am looking forward to that!  Then the 3rd week we can begin our transition to solid foods.  We have a special plate that we will eat from (see picture above) that will help us keep our portions for our new "little stomach".  We are really excited about that phase and already have a date night planned for that first Friday we can have "real food"!! 
On Sunday night we exercised for the first time since surgery (well since about 3 years ago LOL!).  They recommended at the drs office that we begin exercising and to buy a weight band to help tone arm and chest muscles.  We bought one and I used it and I was surpised at how much I felt the burn!  We also did tae bo cardio and about 30 minutes in, we were both ready to colapse! 
In addition to checking our incisions and learning our new diet plan for the next couple of weeks, we were asked to keep a food journal.  We have to list everything we eat and drink for the next 2 weeks until we go back to the dr.  We go back in 2 weeks to receive our first "fill" and the dr will use this journal to know how much of a fill we need to have. 
Overall things are going pretty good.  The good part is we are feeling better and looking forward to our new life, the bad part is eating the same foods all the time and not losing any weight right now.  Dusty and I both have hit a plateau with our weight.  I am stuck at losing 21 lbs.  While that is still great and I am so thankful to have lost those 21 lbs, I feel like I should have lost much more than that.  It is a little depressing when you have been eating next to nothing and you get on that scale and the same weight shows up again and again.  I know eventually I will get over this plateau and the weight will begin to come off again, but I am not having much patience waiting on that moment. 
Thanks for your continued support and prayers though this journey!  We are blessed to have such wonderful friends and family helping us through these tough times as well as rejoicing with us in the good.


No comments:

Post a Comment